Sunday, September 12, 2010

Tomorrow: The Five-Letter Word

With the weather being what it is, I think it's safe to say we're
going to meet indoors for the rest of the year, so it's going to be at
Spot on Elmwood at 7:30pm.

There are an awful lot of ideas dancing around the various spheres of
Christendom concerning the passage we're reading tomorrrow. I've
personally heard a whole bunch of different interpretations throughout
my "church life"!

James 2:14-26
What good is it, my brothers, if a man claims to have faith but has
no deeds? Can such faith save him? Suppose a brother or sister is
without clothes and daily food. If one of you says to him, "Go, I wish
you well; keep warm and well fed," but does nothing about his physical
needs, what good is it? In the same way, faith by itself, if it is not
accompanied by action, is dead.

But someone will say, "You have faith; I have deeds."

Show me your faith without deeds, and I will show you my faith by what I do.

You believe that there is one God. Good! Even the demons believe
that—and shudder.

You foolish man, do you want evidence that faith without deeds is
useless? Was not our ancestor Abraham considered righteous for what he
did when he offered his son Isaac on the altar? You see that his faith
and his actions were working together, and his faith was made complete
by what he did. And the scripture was fulfilled that says, "Abraham
believed God, and it was credited to him as righteousness," and he was
called God's friend. You see that a person is justified by what he
does and not by faith alone.

In the same way, was not even Rahab the prostitute considered
righteous for what she did when she gave lodging to the spies and sent
them off in a different direction? As the body without the spirit is
dead, so faith without deeds is dead.


Bring your best bible cross-references for this one! Please quote
Paul with great care. I got Pastor Steve on speed-dial just in case.

See you guys there!

No comments:

Post a Comment